Friday, June 11, 2010

Last Song Syndrome: A Curse or a Blessing?

I remember a time when I was still in gradeschool, there was this song titled "Zombie" by the Cranberries that was so popular and it transcended all ages. It was such a hit, that one time while I was walking in a mall, I caught myself singing "Zombie.. Zombie.. Zombie..E..E.." silently, and a few feet away from me, a man, probably in his mid-twenties was also singing the same thing in the exact same measure. What's odd was that, the song wasn't even being played in the mall. Both of us were victims of what you call the LSS or the Last Song Syndrome. This is a syndrome or state of mind wherein your subconscious repeats the last song you heard, all throughout the day. This is particularly irritating when the song happens to be the most pathetic, crappy song ever.

Recently, I discovered a good use for LSS. This seemingly human deficiency can be a blessing after all. My bestfriend gave me a CD Album -"In a Little While" by Hwee- produced by her church in Singapore. I listened to it for a number of times and, lo and behold, I got hit! What's wonderful is that the songs are a LOT more meaningful than the Zombie song.

The first two songs are among my favorites. The Romans 8 Song was written during the early days of Hwee's journey in Christ. It shows that no matter what draws us away from God, be it trouble or hardship, persecution or fame, nakedness, mortality, danger or sword, or the humdrum of life, God still loves us. It's chorus is almost the exact verbatim of Romans 8:38-39: For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The second song, I'd Rather Love, was written out of frustration at not being able to love the way God commanded. The whole song (except for the bridge and the last chorus) is like singing 1 Corinthians 13:1-8 in a catchy soft pop melody. If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

The bridge notes the greatest example of love being shown on earth "when You sent Your Son to the cross to die for our sins. And day by day I pray that I will be more and more like Jesus.." The songs ends with a prayer, a wonderful reminder that it is God alone who can make us love the way He does "so help me show a love so patient, a love so kind, a love that does not envy.."

On the days I listen to these songs, I get hit by LSS each and every time. And LSS is really a blessing indeed. Maybe that was why Psalms and Songs of Songs were created. They basically help us memorize God's Word easily (and usually effortlessly) .

Last Song Syndrome (with the right songs of course), helps us meditate automatically throughout the day. Meditation is like chewing God's word, eating it and swallowing it, after some time you may draw it out from the food bank in your body (cows have food reserves that prepare them for the whole day's work) and eat it again.

I remember on one particular day, when I lacked sleep and my mood was terrible, God made it possible (through LSS) for my mind to keep on playing "love is patient, love is kind.." (not because I felt like singing the song). It reminded me the truths about love.. to be patient and kind.. when my emotions failed to do so.

The next time you get hit by LSS, make sure that it's a song worth singing and a message worth keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment