Saturday, April 24, 2010

East-Meets-West Dinner

Tonight, I prepared two dishes where East Meets West. (Remember Ming Tsai?) I got the first recipe from a very healthy, and I think already a fad, book entitled South Beach Diet. I made a Frittata (or Quiche), a classic French cuisine that embodies the structure of a pie and is generally made out of custard. That's for the 'West' part of the course. The 'East' on the other hand was an innovation of a classic Kebab dish. I used Salmon as the main meat. With all sorts of nutrients in it, including omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin D, it's good for the family diet.

If you would like to make a healthy Quiche -to-go, try this Light Spinach Frittata recipe. You would need the ff:

1 tbsp extra virgin olice oil
1 small onion sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
* Cook all these recipes first on medium heat.

10 oz spinach
* Add the spinach and reduce to low heat.

2 large eggs
3 egg whites
1/3 cup fat free evaporated milk
* In a bowl, beat until light yellow frothy
* Mix in spinach mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes.

1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
* Sprinkle mixture with cheese
* Bake in oven 350 F, 5 - 10minutes

(This is how I write recipes by the way. I'm not sure if it's clear for everyone else, but this is just the way I prefer it, a wee bit differently organized.)


What I did was I baked the Frittata in cups instead of making it a one whole pie.
Before serving, you may also put tomato salsa on top to add some tangy taste.


For the Salmon Kebab, I first marinated the salmon in:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
* Place salmon in mixture
* Grill.


1/2 zucchini sliced
2 tomatoes cubed
1 bell pepper cubed
* Brush with olive oil.
* Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
* Grill vegetables.
* Place grilled slices of tomatoes, red bell peppers and zucchinis on barbeque sticks interspersed with salmon.


Here's the final product.


No comments:

Post a Comment