Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Comfort in Silence

My emotions have been stretched lately with all the relationship tension. Being the absorber of anger and blame, sometimes I am tempted to just lock myself in a room and be silent. This is my defense mechanism.

According to my friend, there are three most common defense mechanisms, going towards, going against and going away. Going towards is when a person decides to give-in to the stressor. He thinks that he should please others for them to not hurt him. Going against is when he fights the one giving him stress. He gets what he wants through force. He scares others off before they can even hurt him. And going away is drawing back and becoming silent. He thinks that with less emotional investment, he would be hurt less.

I guess I'm the third. I find it difficult to open up if I'm not comfortable nor at ease. How about you, what's your defense mechanism?

Anyway, back to the story. The deafening silence led me to read and fill my mind with comforting words in my quiet corner. It was really refreshing when I got to these beautiful poetic verses in Psalm 45:10-13 :

Hear, O daughter, and consider, and incline your ear:
forget your people and your father’s house,
and the king will desire your beauty.

The daughter is the whole church. Forgetting means that loyalty is not to the people or the father's house but to the Lord. I felt really loved when I read "the king will desire your beauty." If ever we feel unappreciated, let's remember this verse, that there's a king who appreciates and desires our beauty even if we're unworthy.

Since he is your lord, bow to him.

Although He loves us very much, He is still the King - someone we should worship.

The people of Tyre will seek your favor with gifts,
the richest of the people.

In our new position, as His bride, we also receive honor from the King's subjects. Yesterday, my cousin asked me, what if the guy you love leaves you, will you be hurt? I said "Yes of course, but I know I can recover, because I trust God's plans and He is still our first and foremost husband."

All glorious is the princess in her chamber, with robes interwoven with gold.


Wow, imagine that! I've always dreamt of wearing the 1800's elegant victorian gowns. But this princess gown is even better. And this is how precious we are in God. He reminds us that we are His princess. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment