Friday, January 22, 2010

Avoid Missed Communication



Dear Lord,


Thank you for another wonderful day. Thank you also for the food we ate. But, hmm… can You really hear me when I speak? Or am I simply uttering out words in a big black void? I really wonder if You’re there. Anyway, I pray that you will bless me with this plan that I have. Please give me the promotion (the job/treatment/pay) that I deserve. And oh, I also hope this guy will notice me tomorrow.. I pray that my parents will allow me to ... Yada… Yada…


Sounds familiar? To continue…


Lord, I’m sorry, but I am really frustrated. I think You’re a bit unfair. I’m good to You naman, but how come I didn’t get what I prayed for. In fact, I prayed about it everyday. But it didn't seem that you heard me? Do you love me anyway?


And sometimes, it would even go as far as…


Lord, sige na, you don’t love me naman talaga as much as you love the others. I did my best, but my best was not good enough for You. I don’t want to talk to you anymore. Amen and good-bye.


It’s a sad reality that many fall away from the “faith” due to a missed communication. As people say, communication is vital in every relationship and without it, it's bound to fail. It is an invisible thread that bonds families, husbands and wives, or every of friends from different islands together. And an unclear communication can truly break a relationship.


How do you communicate with your dad? Whenever you see him, do you usually say something like: “can you give me an ipod pleaaaase, or if your older, a car pretty please?” Well, if yes and then he answers yes to all, then I think he’s either spoiling you or being bullied by you. I believe a responsible dad would teach you lessons. He would show you how to determine the good needs from the unnecessary and harmful wants. Sometimes, he would even place you in training grounds that you dread. (Remember the feeling of goodbye weekend, hello school?) Anyway, here we can see that (1) sometimes you get to talk, other times you get to listen. If only one does all the talking then there's no communication at all. (2) Many times when you do not get what you want, or when your dad let you experience something you dread, you get wisdom.


Just like our dads, we also need to have an open communication with our Father in heaven. True, we get to pray to Him. But, many times we forget (or choose not) to LISTEN, when in fact He’s already speaking! And as the King of kings, His words are definitely very precious. Don't waste it!


Pray the ACTS (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication) prayer. Reflect on His words and listen very carefully. Maybe He is already telling you something new today.


The more you practice the prayer-listening process, the more you'll avoid missed communication, the more your relationship with our Father will grow! Try it to believe it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment